SAFETY BEYOND BORDERS’ PROGRAMS FOR THE DECADE OF ACTION
Safety Beyond Borders is actively involved in the Decade of Action for Road safety by the United Nations. Our indicative programs include the following.
PILLAR 1 – ROAD SAFETY MANAGEMENTS.
Road Safety Management is strategic to achieving the goals of the decade of action. We plan to do the following in this regards:
- Collaborate with the Federal Roads Safety Commission to develop human the capacity of the road safety managers.
- Organize trainings for states road safety managers
- Continue advocacy programs on effective road safety management
- Promote greater automation of road safety management in Nigeria.
- Recruit and train volunteers for better roads safety management.
PILLAR 2 – INFRASTRUCTURE
- Advocacy programs on improved infrastructure.
- Mobilize the community for popular participation in infrastructural maintenance and development.
- Collaborate with relevant government agencies and roads contractors to promote the construction of forgiving roads and to work on the
- possibilities of amending where necessary existing black pots to become forgiving roads.
PILLAR 3 – SAFE VEHICLES
- Collaborate with the vehicle inspection officers to promote the upping of standards of vehicles imported or allowed to operate in Nigeria.
- Continue seat belts campaigns for both front and back passengers.
- Continue retro-reflective tapes campaigns to prevent crashes caused by poor visibility.
PILLAR 4 – ROAD USER BEHAVIOUR.
- Improve the coverage of the After-School Hours road safety initiative to improve safety for young road users.
- Commence Zebra – Crossing campaigns.
- Continue pedestrians’ visibility campaigns
- Continue crash helmet advocacies and Campaigns.
- Commence Yellow Card and Red Card road safety initiative.
PILLAR 5 – POST CRASH CARE.
- Conduct seminars, conferences and workshops on effective trauma care.
- Collaborate with the Ministry of Health to introduce effective ambulance services.
- Collaborate with local and international partners to conduct Medicare facilities upgrade.
- Organize First responders’ trainings in Schools, and some communities, villages along major highways.